Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cuz I wanna know how it feels to feel passion...

It's so interesting to see everyone around me growing up. My friends are graduating and starting to pursue their callings in life, the kids from my youth group are starting college, and some friends are even getting married. It's funny when you think you've known a person, then all of a sudden you see them again in a completely different light. In what instant did things change for them? Was it an over night thing or did it take years?

Part of my Keynote application asked me to describe how I came to know Jesus personally. I went back to the Holy Cow retreat in 2002, the first time I remember accepting Jesus as my Savior. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I really didn't know who Jesus was back then. I do believe that I accepted Him and started my long journey of learning more about Him then...but experiencing God in a retreat atmosphere isn't what living as a Christian is about.
We all have had a 'mountain top experience' at least once in our lives. A time when we felt so close to God that was almost indescribable. But as time passed and we tried to sustain ourselves on that one experience, we drifted away. We tried to hold on to that singular experience, hoping that it alone would keep us afloat until the next one came around. Whether it was a retreat, a meaningful conversation, a particular night of worship, a long hike in the woods, a concert....these moments were meaningful to us, but they were not meant to define our faith. Yes, God was very present in those moments, but He is present in EVERY moment of our lives.

I understand why that retreat back in the spring of 2002 was important now. God absolutely captivated me that weekend. I was surrounded by Him and by people who loved Him in an atmosphere so far removed from my life at school. My experiences that weekend were just a starting point for my spiritual growth. It has taken years for me to know who Jesus is on a personal level. I didn't just wake up the next morning with all the knowledge I would need to keep myself going each day. I've spent hours reading and praying to acquire just a small piece of that. And it is a fight sometimes to keep myself from becoming complacent. I'm about halfway through Leviticus in the Amazing Bible Race and that is NOT an easy read. There is so much in this world to distract me from reading scripture and praying daily. But I know what happens when I put it off and make excuses - my life goes down the tubes.

Make the commitment today to change. Complacency happens to everyone, but the only way to conquer it is to recognize it and do something about it. It's only hard because Satan hates it when Christians try to learn more to deepen their faith in God.
  • Wake up 10 minutes earlier to read and pray.
  • Carry the Bible, a devotional or even just a verse on a piece of paper with you everywhere you go.
  • Find a friend who will hold you accountable here to read, and talk about what you both can do to apply what you've read to your lives.
  • Find a mentor through your church to minister to you.
Whatever you need to do to make God the center of your life, do it!
Check out 2 Corinthians 5:13-6:2 to read Paul's perspective on our calling to be different, to become righteous in God's eyes because of His Son.

Here are some sweet lyrics from a new song by The Turning that I feel are relevant to the topic. Pursue the passion you've had in those mountain top experiences in the way you live your life each day. Read and pray. That's where the relationship comes from. Don't let the twisted world around you stop you from pursuing that relationship, no matter what the cost.

I hit play
Will today be one that matters?
To tell the truth sometimes life steals the faith I'm after
I'm tired of what I'm not

So help me God
Give me a passion, give me a fire
Give me a heart that's filled with desire
Cuz I wanna know how it feels to feel
Passion
I wanna be consumed
Passion
I'm more in love with you

Overflow, let it go
I wanna know what happens
To be revived, come alive, to feel the Spirit crash in
Down on all I'm not

So help me God
Give me a passion, give me a fire
Give me a heart that's filled with desire
Cuz I wanna know how it feels to feel
Passion
I wanna be consumed
Passion
I'm more in love with you

Today's the day, I'm not afraid
I'm ready to be changed...
- 'Passion' by The Turning

No comments: