Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Word is Alive

'For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.'
- Hebrews 4:12-13 NIV

One of my favorite bands of all time is Casting Crowns. Their lyrics are powerful and as a group they are devoted to sharing the gospel with their listeners. On their newest album they have a song called 'The Word is Alive.' The song's chorus is definitely inspired by this verse from Hebrews. The message of the song is that God's word is alive and relevant. Even as time has gone by, when everything else fades, His word will prevail.

I blogged about this on my bands myspace (you can check out our link on the right, Habbakuk). Christians today seem to get bored very easily. In the age of ADD it seems like everything needs to be brightly colored and shiny to hold our attention.
But what about God's word? When I walk into church I am not greeted with pyrotechnics or circus performers (although some churches seem to be heading in that direction). As a practicing Episcopalian sometimes the only unpredictable event in the service is whether the rector will preach from the pulpit or come down to pew level. And I like that. Because for me each service has a completely different mood depending on the message of the readings and the sermon. I sense that because I have made the conscious effort to pay attention. ....let me repeat that last part just in case you missed it.
"I have made the conscious effort to PAY ATTENTION [caps added]."

We've all experienced those Sunday mornings or those times at home when we have heard or read scripture and felt bored to pieces. 'What does this have to do with my life?' 'I don't live in this time period, so how am I supposed to apply this?'

The truth affirmed in this verse from Hebrews is that, new flash, God's word is alive; it is ALWAYS relevant. It cuts through all of the glitz of this world and goes straight to our hearts. But we need to be paying attention. If you have experienced, as I have many times before, those waves of boredom as a result of hearing God's word, then you weren't really paying attention. You allowed the enemy to harden your heart to the message. Imagine how you would feel if you allowed yourself to be moved by the message every Sunday and every time you read. That's how you is supposed to feel! So next time you begin to doze off, figuratively or literally as we have all seen, ask the Lord to open your eyes, your ears and your heart to His word. He may reveal something you were not expecting.


Towards the end of the Casting Crowns song I mentioned is a spoken message that sums up the power of scripture and its ability to continually awe those who read it. I get goosebumps and a huge smile every time I hear this part of the song:

"The bible was enstrived over a period of two thousand years, in times of war and in days of peace, by kings, physicians, tax collectors, farmers, fishermen, singers and shepherds. The marvel is that a library so perfectly cohesive could have been produced by such a diverse crowd over a period of time which staggers the imagination.
Jesus is its grand subject, our good is designed as the glory of God is its end."


Who needs fireworks when we have a work of love like this right at our fingertips??

3 comments:

Samantha said...

<3 you

Jenna Bruce said...

I love that part too. But I think it's 'The Bible was inscribed'....

The Kelley 7 said...

Thank you for this! I am teaching this song to kids in my music class for a concert we are doing with Scripture songs, thus was searching for the exact text that is spoken in the song and happened on your blog. What you said was VERY good and true and it blessed me! THANKS! :-)