Thursday, November 15, 2007

Balance in the Labyrinth

The room is so quiet. The only sound I hear is from the air vents, which act almost as white noise. My focus goes to the small 8ft. canvas on the floor – the labyrinth. It winds in 4 sections, ultimately leading to the center. It looks like all I have to do is walk with one foot in front of the other, not be embarrassed if someone sees me, and sit in the middle to talk to God.

As I go to begin walking, I feel an urge to get my bible and read as I walk. Ok. I take my bible from my purse, flip to the verses I read last night (Eph. 6:19-20), and I being to read and walk.
Now, this poses a problem to my small mind – reading and walking are difficult to do together. The mat was small and the path had lots of sharp turns. I would start to read and meditate, but immediately look down to see where my feet were going. When I watched my feet I would lose my balance, along with what I had just read.
Then I would read and allow the message to stay in my mind. I stopped only to notice that I was still on the path. I hadn’t been paying attention to my steps but on the words I read. When I focused my attention on the word in my hands, I was still kept on the path without losing my balance.

Earlier this morning I was reading chapter 10 in Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She really nailed home the idea of using God’s word and truth to negate all the lies we once believed. We need to allow His word to guide our steps.

Hmmmmm…funny how this all comes together.


I always try to peek ahead to see where I may be going. I want to see the path and watch my feet so I won’t fall. But that’s where my focus goes – down to my feet and not up to my Father. I spend my whole walk trying to stay balanced and to not fall instead of asking the Lord for help. I need to allow him to guide my steps while I seek him and not my own safety. He knows the path he has laid out for me, and the more I fight his guidance the more I lose sight of him.
- He made me this way for a purpose.
- He laid out a path for me.
- He is the only way I will ever get through it.

So why am I so afraid to surrender everything to him?

My devotional last night made the point that I need to first build my relationship with the Lord. Only then will he use me as a vessel to aid others. I need to focus on our relationship, not his relationships with others.
“…what is that to you? You must follow me.”
–John 21:21-22


Allow God to guide my steps. Focus on the relationship and building it through prayer, reading his word and truth, and taking the time to listen for his voice.

No comments: